The speculation surrounding Tilman Fertitta’s buyout of Caesars Entertainment has been steadily increasing for months, such that it is now starting to feel like an inevitability for the Houston-based billionaire to become the next owner of a casino brand that has had a largely tumultuous run over the past two decades.

According to a Financial Times report from last week, banks are lining up to help finance the complex transaction. The syndicate of lenders, which includes Morgan Stanley, is said to be building a $5 billion financing package. While Caesars reported total outstanding debt of $11.9 billion at the end of the first quarter, the figure is down somewhat from total debt of $12.3 billion at the conclusion of the same quarter in 2025.

As of 31 March, Caesars had $867 million in cash and equivalents, and its current market capitalisation is about $5.6 billion. As with a number of peers, Caesars’ debt-to-equity ratio appears to be relatively high due to the capital-intensive nature of the casino industry.

Fertitta’s offer is reportedly in the low $30s per share, a slight premium over Caesars’ closing price on Tuesday of $27.50. The company’s stock is up 18% year-to-date, driven primarily by the takeover speculation. Besides that recent bump, it has been a downhill slide for multiple years – Caesars shares crested over $100 in late 2021 and have steadily declined since.

Despite the potential takeover, though, it looks as though the company’s brass could largely stay the same. The FT report said the buyout “would likely be structured to avoid a formal change of control”. The Carano family and Caesars CEO Tom Reeg are expected to be “rolling at least part of their equity stakes into the combined Caesars-Fertitta company”, the report said.

Lease agreements a sticking point for Caesars

The operator’s underperformance creates an appealing purchase price opportunity, but several significant hurdles remain, which could explain the prolonged talks.

Some sticking points include Caesars’ large debt levels, its rent commitments tied to real estate investment trusts and potential competition concerns with Fertitta’s existing gaming ventures. In addition to owning Golden Nugget Casinos, Fertitta is the largest shareholder in Wynn Resorts and owns a vacant six-acre plot on the Las Vegas Strip zoned for gaming.

While the debt levels are high, the latter two concerns could prove to be the most difficult to entangle. Caesars is primarily an OpCo, and leases 25 casinos across North America – 18 are leased from VICI Properties, six from Gaming and Leisure Properties and one from the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corp. Notably, VICI was created as a spin-off from Caesars in 2017 as part of its bankruptcy reorganisation.

This tranche of rent payments is a sizeable expense that escalates annually. Caesars estimated at the end of Q1 that its lease obligations to VICI and GLPI for the just the rest of 2026 was $1 billion. For comparison, Caesars’ group adjusted EBITDA was $887 million in Q1 and the company posted a net loss of $98 million.

Any tweaks to the leases that might arise from an ownership change are still unclear. Earlier this month, the New Orleans City Council agreed to a deal through which the city received $103 million, or nine years’ worth of rent payments from Caesars New Orleans up-front at a discounted rate, in order to fill pressing budget gaps. However, that up-front money was paid by TPG and the deal did not affect Caesars’ existing VICI lease for the site.

Will federal, state regulators require divestments?

In terms of competition, Fertitta would have a number of divestments to make in acquiring Caesars. The most immediate would pertain to Fertitta’s Golden Nugget properties. If the casino mogul wishes to essentially swap out Golden Nugget for the larger Caesars brand, that would likely require divestitures in a number of markets where both companies currently compete.

These competing markets include:

  • Las Vegas, Nevada
  • Lake Tahoe, Nevada
  • Laughlin, Nevada
  • Atlantic City, New Jersey
  • Biloxi, Mississippi
  • Lake Charles, Louisiana

When Caesars was acquired by the Caranos’ Eldorado Resorts in 2020, that deal faced similar problems. Ultimately, the Federal Trade Commission required Eldorado to divest its Lake Tahoe and Bossier City casinos and sell its Kansas City casino. Caesars, meanwhile, had to sell two of its Indiana casinos – Caesars Southern Indiana and Tropicana Evansville – to satisfy regulators there. Interestingly, all three Eldorado properties and Tropicana Evansville went to Bally’s Corp, and that foundation has helped Bally’s grow significantly since.

In a note to investors earlier this month, JP Morgan gaming analyst Daniel Politzer said the potential divestitures could generate some $2.3 billion in asset sales. These sales could be “opportunistic” for others, Politzer said, similar to Bally’s.

Given that three of the affected markets are in Nevada, the Nevada Gaming Control Board will likely have a lot of work to do for such a deal. When reached by iGB, the board declined to comment on the potential next steps. However, the GCB has confirmed that it would await a federal ruling before making any state-level requirements.

Fertitta leveraging Wynn stake but goals uncertain

In addition to the overlap with Caesars, Fertitta may also have to divest his Wynn stake. That investment has always been passive in nature, but it stands to reason that a licencee would likely not be allowed to own one entity while having controlling power over another. Wynn has declined to comment to iGB about Fertitta or his plans.

It seems that Fertitta might prefer to sell off the Wynn stake in lieu of acquiring Caesars, given recent SEC filings. The Houston-based billionaire has steadily sold call options on his stake since the start of the year, most recently on 17 April.

This could, however, also just be a way for Fertitta to leverage and profit from the stake for the time being – the strike prices for the call options range from $115 to about $130, well above the stock’s current price of about $95. Pressure on Wynn’s future UAE resort project amid the ongoing US-Iran conflict may keep prices depressed in the near-term. The expiration dates for the various options run through the fall into November.

“Fertitta can be bullish and still sell the calls,” Fantini Research founder Frank Fantini told iGB in March. Conversely, Fantini noted that Wynn “could rise over 20% in September” with the possibility that Fertitta may still hold onto the shares.

The various opportunities may place the mogul in a sweet spot where he can profit from selling the call options and enjoy an appreciation in the stock price. And, Fantini noted, “if it gets called away, he’s made a nice profit and still owns a lot of shares.”

Neither Fertitta nor Caesars have commented on the speculation. As the US ambassador to Italy and San Marino, Fertitta is detached from his business ventures for now.

Original article: https://igamingbusiness.com/strategy/caesars-fertitta-deal-speculation/