s casino capacities remain limited to 50% due to COVID-19 restrictions, Maryland’s six casinos made USD 142,660,085 in gambling revenue during October, a decrease of just 0.9% ($1,235,325) compared to the October 2019 total of $143,895,409.
Casino contributions to the state in October were $59,933,270, an increase of $666,130 (1.1%) compared to the $59,267,140 contributed to the state in October 2019.
Four casinos saw increases from their October 2019 revenues, the Garrett County Republican reports.
Contributions to the Education Trust Fund in October were $43,576,492, a decrease of $879,874 (-2.0%) compared to the $44,456,366 in ETF contributions during October 2019. Casino gambling revenues also support the communities and jurisdictions where the casinos are located, Maryland’s horse racing industry, and small, minority- and women-owned businesses.
As part of Maryland’s effort to halt the spread of COVID-19, the casinos were closed on March 16 and began reopening with capacity limitations on June 19. Casino operators worked with local and state public health officials to develop their reopening protocols. The casinos have implemented social distancing and sanitation procedures, including a requirement that all employees and patrons wear face masks.
Maryland’s six privately owned casinos offer both slot machines and table games: MGM National Harbor in Prince George’s County; Live! Casino & Hotel in Anne Arundel County; Horseshoe Casino Baltimore in Baltimore City; Ocean Downs Casino in Worcester County; Hollywood Casino Perryville in Cecil County; and Rocky Gap Casino Resort in Allegany County.
Revenue totals for October:
- MGM National Harbor (1,699 slot machines, 190 table games): $56,568,030 in October, a decrease of $3,297,420 (-5.5%) from October 2019.
- Live! Casino & Hotel (2,391 slot machines, 184 table games): $49,561,568 in October, an increase of $1,951,984 (4.1%) from October 2019.
- Horseshoe Casino (1,028 slot machines, 152 table games): $17,331,317 in October, a decrease of $1,816,187 (-9.5%) from October 2019.
- Hollywood Casino (499 slot machines, 15 table games): $7,005,324 in October, an increase of $1,161,597 (19.9%) from October 2019.
- Ocean Downs Casino (612 slot machines, 18 table games): $6,951,064 in October, an increase of $277,298 (4.2%) from October 2019.
- Rocky Gap Casino (415 slot machines, 16 table games): $5,242,783 in October, an increase of $487,403 (10.2%) from October 2019.